Monday, August 14, 2017

Are you an Iron Rodder or a Liahoner?

This week has gone by so incredibly fast. But to start off, P day last week was so much fun. My district is just a ton of lunatics. We set up the volleyball net and it was just complete nonsense, but it felt good to laugh. I seriously laughed so hard I ended up on the floor holding my abs. They are such fun Elders.

So we have been helping this lady Sister Gentry move out and every time we go over there her three little puppies just run out to greet us. Sister Gentry puts little dresses on them, and changes them every day or every other day. They are adorable. But the other day as we were moving her stuff out, she asked if she could feed us dinner, we already had a dinner that night but she asked if we could come an hour earlier because her dinner was worth eating. We decided to have two dinners that night... BUT IT WAS WORTH IT. Sorta. She made us ALLIGATOR. WE ATE ALLIGATOR. And let me just say, it was really yummy but it didn't agree with either of us. We were sick to our stomach for the next week. And I still am paying for it. But it is still exciting. There were so many bones in it. Like BIG bones. I kept one and am going to bring it home. She is awesome and we are REALLY going to miss her and her little pups.

We had an amazing visit with a lady in our ward that has just figured out she has terminal cancer. WE LOVE HER. Everyone loves her. She told us that there are two kinds of people, and Iron Rodder and a Liahoner. She said Iron Rodder's are people who are book smart and doctrine smart and just really good at scriptures and stuff, and Liahoner's are good at connecting with people and sharing personal experiences and being loose. The perfect companionship is one of each I think. Her husband told us some funny family history stories (Some people down here are SUPER into genealogy, and I have actually kinda gotten into it. I studied and read over everyone on the chart dad sent me and read the stories as well. Looking through that chart, I can pick out where my personality has come from... little bit of her, little bit of him, it's kinda fun.

Last Sunday a couple in our ward brought a nonmember couple into church with them and they gave them a Book of Mormon and they accepted the discussions with us. We went over there last Monday and it went really well. We had some members there with us and THANK HEAVENS we did. This couple was a part of another religion and was VERY faithful. They were asking REALLY deep questions, that made us VERY grateful that one of the members was able to answer. But overall the lesson went really well and they seem pretty interested, we are teaching them again Tuesday night so hopefully it goes well and they want to keep hearing more!

Tracting is not SUPER effective. We will ride around the whole area and knock on LOTS of door but no one will answer or they say they are not interested, or they don't have time. It is a little frustrating at times, but we just have to shrug it off. We laugh about rejections because they aren't even willing to listen to us say ANYTHING. The ward is  really great and every week I have been learning more names and meeting new people. In ward council we have discussed that the Ward needs to do their job with inviting and finding so we have more people to teach. I hope they follow through because the finding and tracting we are doing is not really working.

YES there is a prison! A lot of the people around here work there and the only reason the population is a decent number is because of the Prison. We aren't allowed to teach there, but people in our ward have callings to go minister there every Sunday. We ride past the area and here them having target practice and it's pretty cool. We actually had dinner with one of the Psychologist at the prison and she had so many CRAZY stories. She said one time this guy wouldn't come out of his cell and they were gonna tranquilize him but they called her down and she was like "Guys Please" and held out Noodles and he came... She said that she works with a ton of Over grown Kindergartners. I can't imagine some of the mental people in there. I don't think I could do what she does. But she is Hilarious and that's probably why a lot of the inmates like her and will talk to her. An answer to My mothers question: Do I feel Safe? Yes. I feel safe. I have the best Body Guard in the world on my side 24/7.
I hope you have an amazing week, full of fun and happiness.

Love you all! Keep on keepin on!
Sister Hansen

Parent's note: Sorry, no pictures this week, but we love her letter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you soon!!

Packing up and getting ready to head home Baptism! I'll be home very soon so I'm not emailing. Love you all! Sister Hansen ...